Monday, March 23, 2015

Orchuulga bie daalt



The Dog and the Wolf
(A folk tale from Greece)
A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a Housedog who was passing by. “Ah, cousin,” said the Dog, “I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?”
“I would have no objection,” said the Wolf, “if I could only get a place.”
“I will easily arrange that for you,” said the Dog; “Come with me to my master and you shall share my work.”
So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog’s neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.
“Oh, it is nothing,” said the Dog. “That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it.”
“Is that all?” said the Wolf. “Then good-bye to you, Master Dog.”
                                    “Better starve free than be a fast slave.” 
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Once upon a time, there lived three Billy goat brothers. Their names were Little Billy, Middle Billy, and Big Billy.
One day, they decided to cross the bridge to eat the sweet grass on the other side. There was only one problem. A mean troll lived under it.
Clomp, clomp, clomp! Little Billy started across the bridge. Then he heard a cranky voice. “Stop there! I am going to eat you up!” yelled Troll.
“Wait for my brother. He is bigger and much more delicious than I!” cried Little Billy.
“What a fine idea,” said Troll, licking his lips. And with that, Little Billy crossed the bridge.
Clomp, clomp, clomp! Middle Billy started across the bridge. Then he heard a cranky voice.
“Stop there! I am going to eat you up!” yelled Troll.
“Wait for my brother. He is bigger and much more delicious than I!” cried Middle Billy.
“What a fine idea,” said Troll, licking his lips. And with that, Middle Billy crossed the bridge.
Clomp, clomp, clomp! Middle Billy started across the bridge. Big Billy started across the bridge. Then he heard a cranky voice.
“Stop there! I am going to eat you up!” yelled Troll.
“OK,” said Nig Billy, for he had a sneaky plan.
When Troll climbed up on the bridge, Big Billy rammed him so hard that he fell into the water with a giant splash!
After that, the three brothers crossed the bridge whenever they liked. And, my, the sweet green grass was delicious!
Questions
1. What do Billy goats decide to do one day?
2. Which problem do the Billy goats face?
3. Why doesn’t Troll eat Little Billy and Middle Billy?
4. Which plan does the Big Billy have?

Stone Soup
Once upon a time, there was a village. It was a nice place to live except for one thing. People did not like to share.
One day a visitor came to town. “Hello! Does anybody have food to share?” he asked.
“No!” said everyone.
“That’s OK,” said the visitor. “I will make stone soup for everyone.”
Then he took a stone and dropped it into a giant pot.
The visitor sniffed his broth. Some people came outside to see what he was doing. Some watched from their windows.
“Mmmm, I love stone soup. The only thing better is stone soup with cabbage!” said the visitor.
That gave one man in the village an idea. He brought a cabbage and put it in the pot. Then the visitor said, “I once had stone soup with cabbage and carrots. It was delicious!”
A woman brought carrots and put them in the pot.
Then the visitor said, “I once had stone soup with cabbage and carrots and corn. It was delicious!”
A boy brought corn and put it in the pot.
Then the visitor said, “I once had stone soup with cabbage and carrot and corn and beans. It was delicious!?
A girl brought beans and put then in the pot.
The soup cooked and cooked. Finally, it was ready. Everyone ate a big bowl. “This is delicious!” they all said.
The soup made them so happy that they danced and sang all night long.
From then on, the people in the village shared. And their very favorite thing to share was stone soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment